Afghan security forces and their NATO allies have launched a new push against the Al-Qaeda-linked Haqqani network along the troubled Pakistani border, senior defence officials said today.
The United States recently accused the Haqqanis of orchestrating a 19-hour siege of the US embassy in Kabul, a September truck bombing on a NATO outpost that wounded 77 Americans and a June attack on Kabul’s InterContinental hotel.
US commanders say the network is their most potent enemy in eastern Afghanistan and increasingly capable of launching high-profile attacks in Kabul. It is an Afghan Taliban faction, loyal to Taliban leader Mullah Omar.
Afghan Defence minister Abdul Rahim Wardak said operation “Knife Edge” was launched two days ago, while a senior defence ministry official said it was “largely against the Haqqani network”.
From: http://ping.fm/s41YU
Popular Posts
-
Former FIFA vice president Reynald Temarii of Tahiti ends his 12-month suspension from football Wednesday still protesting he was the victim...
-
Alleging that terror attacks in India were a proxy war waged by Pakistan, senior BJP leader L K Advani today said the Indian government must...
-
Signalling a patch up with her estranged aide Sasikala who was expelled last year from the AIADMK, party supremo Jayalalithaa today revoked ...
-
Police today advised the citizens not to believe any rumours about bombs being found in different parts of the metropolis. From: http://ping...
-
Two persons were killed and 50 to 60 thers feared trapped in rubble after a factory in a residential area of this eastern Pakistani city col...
-
Watch 5 Khabarein UP Punjab Ki at breakneck speed on India TV in its Aankein Kholo India programme. Find breaking news, UP & Punjab news...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment